It’s been a busy time in the COVID space, with two COVID-positive people from Brisbane visiting the Byron Bay area between 26-28 March and attending several popular destinations.
Unfortunately, at the time of writing this has resulted in one confirmed locally acquired case of COVID-19 in northern NSW. Significant contact tracing is under way involving thousands of people.
Check the NSW Health Case Locations and Alerts website for the latest information on locations associated with confirmed COVID-19 cases.
NSW Health has imposed new public health restrictions for the local government areas of Tweed Shire Council, Ballina Shire Council, Byron Shire Council and Lismore City Council. Full details are available here.
It only takes one person to bring COVID to our region and this outbreak goes to show that we cannot let our guard down. It highlights the ongoing importance of:
- continuing to maintain hygiene, especially regular hand sanitising
- practising physical distancing
- checking into COVID safe businesses on the Service NSW app
- getting tested if we have even the mildest symptoms such as headache, fatigue, cough, sore throat or runny nose
- self-isolating immediately until we receive our results.
In response to the current threat, NSW Health has boosted their testing facilities across the region and there are now extra places where people can get tested.