Professional development workshop for educators, education support staff, occupational therapists, speech pathologists and paediatric physiotherapists.
The workshop will be facilitated by Maria McKenzie, Occupational Therapist.
The Hartley Knows – I can write level 1 training teaches participants how to use the Ready to Write program to prepare preschool children for formal handwriting by teaching writing shapes and establishing motor, perceptual and sensory skills that support effective handwriting. The I can write program is designed to support the acquisition of strong automatic letter formation in foundation to year 2 students. The programs are suitable for classroom use or individual tuition for typically developing children, and designed to be easily adaptable for children with learning difficulties and disabilities.
Hartley Knows – I can write is an innovative, engaging and effective educational resource. Topics to be covered in the workshop include:
- Typical development of drawing and handwriting in children 3 – 8 years
- Strategies for improving postural and fine motor skills
- Development of an effective pencil grip
- Understanding and using the Hartley Knows program strategies
- Teaching the writing shapes
- Engaging children through story-based play and learning
- Effective teaching of letter and numeral formation
- Strategies to develop confidence, engagement and attention
Who should attend: educators and education support staff, occupational therapists, speech pathologists and paediatric physiotherapists.
About the presenter: Maria McKenzie has 30 years of clinical experience in working with children with disabilities and typically developing children, and is the developer of the Hartley Knows material.